This is a page for items that don't fit anywhere else on the website, or which at this stage have too little content to merit their own section.
Collingwood Historical Society published a booklet
Streets of Collingwood in 1991, which is now out of print but can
be viewed at Collingwood Library. In 2013 the contents will be updated and
published on this website. In the meantime, the City of Yarra's website
website is not working today (14 January 2012). Check again later, or if anybody knows how to contact the compiler, let us know. The site includes information on the origins of a number of Collingwood street names
and some great photos:
Naming must be undertaken pursuant to the requirements of the
Geographic Names 2010.Council
uses indigenous names for Street Naming as part of Council's indigenous
partnership plan. The proposal is referred to Aboriginal Elders via Council's
Arts and Cultural Branch. Adjoining owners are involved in the consultation
does not consider naming unless there is a property actually fronting the street
to be named.
Recent subdivisions and naming include the following in
Yarrabing Lane Clifton Hill was
named in March 2007. Yarrabing (which means the white-gum) is the tree that the
Wurundjeri welcome people to their lands with. The Wurundjeri are the
traditional custodians of the cultural heritage of this land.
Three streets constructed in the
residential development constructed on the site of the former Synthetic
Dyeworks Industries Pty Ltd. (The
names issued in this development are non-conforming, because the Guidelines do
not support the use of first names.)
Place In 1958 Barrie Knight started the dyehouse
(formerly known as Synthetic
Dyeworks), which had previously housed a tannery.
Street In 1959 Stan Fayman
joined Barrie as his business partner.
Lane Harry and Grace lived on the southeast
corner of Gray and Noone streets; Harry was a chimney sweep for the Tannery and
became the first employee at the dyeworks.